Monday, 30 April 2012

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Whilst creating my own Media product, the style model I used was Kerrang as I felt that it suited the genre of the magazine my target audience wanted to see. I began annotating different magazine covers, contents pages and articles on PowerPoint before I chose the best suited style model. Next posted my presentation to my blog using Slideshare.I gathered ideas based on these magazines I annotated, I then chosen Kerrang! as a style model for my own product as it is a rock magazine, this was the genre that was most suited to the results I recorded from my target audience. Kerrang! uses incredibly bold/sharp fonts and bright colours which gives the magazine more of an edge, I like the messy layout of this magazine and set my own out similarly. My magazine contains aspects of Kerrang's layout and design as I wanted it to be eye catching, like Kerrang. The magazine also often use black and white images, like my front cover, I have used a black and white image of my model to develop typical conventions of a rock magazine. I began using images in colour, which didn’t really suit my genre, so I adapted different images to suit this. Unlike Kerrang! the masthead for my own magazine is in front of my model as I felt that Kerrang’s front cover images often cause the title to look less effective. Like Kerrang, my title ‘Core’ holds a message because I felt that my magazine is getting to the Core of the music. I followed the messy layout of Kerrang! as I feel that it fits well with the genre chosen, which was consistent throughout my product. Kerrang’s bright colour schemes work well as the colours used fit with the genre, this is an aspect I kept within my own product, using eccentric colours such as yellow, blue and hot pinks. I ensured that the layout and colour scheme were consistent so that my pages pieced together well, in order for it to attract my target audience. For my contents page I used conventions of other magazines (Q and NME) to mix up the magazine as I didn’t want it to be exactly like what was already available on the market. I used the masthead ‘INSIDE THIS WEEK’ which has been used in NME and worked successfully. I also used various images with bold page numbers as well as text to vary my contents page. Like Q magazine, I have also used the ‘features’ and ‘review’ sections of the contents as well as adding my own ‘news’ section. I have broken typical conventions of rock magazines as I did not have a specific gender audience; it was aimed at both females and males. Society still stereotypes to a specific gender, and as my product is aimed at both, this would be something fresh to the magazine industry. The heavily sexualised image of my model would attract the male audience however the use of the pink, blue and yellow colour scheme would attract a female audience. My front cover story held typical conventions of a rock star ‘Rebecca reveals all about rehab!’ to excite the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment